Monday 7 October 2013

US (20 February-29 April 2012)

My trip to the US was more of a working holiday. I was chosen along with 15 other librarians from across South Africa to spend time in academic libraries. We were together for two weeks, and then we had to go our separate ways for the next two months. I had the most amazing time, and loved travelling alone.

We flew Delta Airlines and noticed that the airline stewardesses seemed quite mature. First impressions when we arrived: airport toilets are extremely clean (at least the ones that we were at), toilet seats are covered in plastic and the cover is changed by means of a sensor; buses run on time; grocery stores are huge. For our next flight, though, we had to change gates several times!

Chicago O' Hare International Airport
Chicago O' Hare International Airport
Our accommodation for the next two weeks was at Orchard Downs Family Housing in Illinois. On the first day that we arrived, my roommate and I did not have hot water (albeit in winter) and we switched off the AC switch accidentally (we thought it was a light switch). The laundromat was about a 5 minute walk from here, and on our first day we did not have enough coins, and the coin machine was not working. A knight in shining armour appeared in the nick of time to save us the bother of going back to our apartment for more coins.

Orchard Downs

My messy bedroom - Orchard Downs
We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Dublin, Ohio.


Courtyard Marriott, Dublin, Ohio
We stayed at Club Quarters in Chicago, situated in downtown Chicago, where all the action is. What a thrill it was to arrive in Chicago. We stayed on the top floor, and did not close our curtains at night, as we wanted to see the tall lit-up buildings. Chicago can be extremely cold, wet and windy. I never saw such smartly dressed people, I did feel a bit under dressed. At night the club houses and eateries come alive. I had the tastiest and the biggest size of buffalo wings at Andy’s Jazz Club, and top entertainment to boot.


Chicago
Famous Chicago skyline

My icon

Rounded circular parkade next to Trump Towers




After two weeks in Illinois, the group parted and we all went our separate ways. I was the earliest one to depart as my flight was earlier than the others, but I ended up taking the same flight as theirs due to some flight booking bungle. I couldn't take a later flight as there were no later flights out to Ithaca - my next destination, and neither could I leave the next morning, as it would have disrupted all my other flight schedules. I had 10 minutes to catch a flight from Chicago to Detroit en route to Ithaca, and made it through this beautifully designed airport.

My home away from home for the next two months, Best Western University Inn, Ithaca – close to several eateries, a laundromat, a 24-hour grocery store, a pharmacy, and bus stop, and free wifi. For the next two months, I was going to be at Cornell University stationed at Mann Library. I arrived at the Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport, minus main luggage. After several calls to Delta, my luggage finally arrived the next day, but I had to fetch it myself!

I did a four hour car journey with one of my Mann Library colleague to Albany for a conference. I remember how she talked the whole way through. We passed a lot of small interesting towns. I was quite impressed with her driving skills and she kept checking her cellphone for directions (it probably had a built in navigation app)  We stayed at Travelogue Inn and Suites, Albany where we shared a room (real tacky motel style accommodation, just as you see in the movies, luckily the water ran out after I had a shower).


Entrance to Best Western - my room on the right entrance

Equestrian Centre - not far from where I was staying in Ithaca


The group met up in San Francisco for a few days. We stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf Hotel, close to Pier 39. Going over the Golden Gate Bridge on an open top bus, and the cold wind over your hair, what an amazing moment! I had the tastiest crab at the Crab House. I arrived back from San Francisco late at night and called a cab to take me to Best Western. I felt very uneasy travelling alone at night, something we are not accustomed to in SA. The taxi driver also creeped me out.

San Francisco
  
Alcatraz

Golden Gate Bridge

Beautiful architecture - SF  
It was my second-to last week in the US when I decided to take a trip to NYC which is a four hour drive from Ithaca. I got up extremely early to catch a bus  to spend a weekend there. I remember walking from Best Western to the bus stop alone in the dark, the silence only broken by the sound of my trolley case. The luxury Cornell bus arrived promptly. What a feeling having arrived in NYC, my dream destination, and seeing the famous skyline for the first time. I remember walking the streets and taking the cab, and had to pinch myself to make sure that this was real. I stayed at the Cornell Club, situated in Midtown Manhattan, the hub of Times Square and Broadway. 

Took the bus to NYC from here


Cornell Club
I got to see part of NYC using the hop-on-hop-off bus. I walked to the Empire State building from my hotel and was told that it was a few blocks away, but I had to walk past several streets and got lost along the way. The view from the top was mind-blowing though. I got cheap tickets for Anything goes. What a slick performance that was. The last day in NYC, Monday morning, I got up early to take my last walk down to Times Square, and I saw people crowding around this building. On closer inspection, I saw cameras and well-dressed people inside a studio. I could not believe it, Good Morning America was being broadcast live from here. This is where their studio is based. I even got a pic of myself with one of the good-looking presenters.



Caught a show on Broadway

Flagged a cab to hotel

Got a pic with this dashing presenter of Good Morning America

View from Empire State Building

Magnificent Metropolitan Museum of Art ... where I had my first lamb gyro
 
Only in NYC

Travelling back to SA involved a bit of drama at the airport. Our flight was delayed. As I did not check in online with Delta (Delta staff at Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport are not the friendliest of people), I had to go through security checks twice, at Newark and Atlanta. This was quite a feat as I had several pieces of luggage to lug around. I had to take to a sky train at one of the airports. My luggage fell off the trolley, a guy helped me put it back on. When I arrived at OR Tambo, I got confused over my departure time, and panicked for nothing. This is what happens when you are jet lagged.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lanka (4-13 March 2024)

We decided to go to SL again as our previous trip back in 2020 was not completed because of Covid. We got quotes for flights and accommodati...