Monday 7 November 2016

My first travel experience (1987)

I remember that day so clearly, way back in 1987. My colleagues dropped me off in front of the Imperial Hotel (in Pietermaritzburg) so that I could take the Cheetah Coaches to the Louis Botha Airport in Durban. This was going to be my first ride on a plane and my first trip to Cape Town.
My mother was so teary-eyed. I don't blame her, to her mind I was heading off to unchartered territory. I was flying and was heading off to a place that was very far away from home. When my boss told me that I will be attending a conference in Cape Town, it was met with fear and trepidation. My first thought was who was I going with. When I was told that I was going with my white colleagues, I wanted to decline the request immediately. I had only recently started work, and I was still getting acquainted with my colleagues. I was very shy and reserved back then. The first thought that crossed my mind was how was I going to interact with them or even communicate!

First of all I had over-packed. I was shocked to see my colleague with only a back pack. I remember lugging my heavy suitcase through a very windy Cape Town. In those days there were no suitcases with wheels. Just as well I had packed some warm clothes, as the weather in Cape Town can be very unpredictable. Also, remember there was no Accuweather back then. It's a good thing I was not sitting next to my colleague, as I didn't know how to buckle up on the plane, and  was too afraid to ask. Also, I could not hide my excitement from being on the plane. I have come along way since then.When we arrived at our hotel, the guys at reception had a bit of a chuckle at my long surname. They wouldn't dare do that today.

The conference and after-hours programme was amazing. We got to visit the beautiful Vergelegen Estate where we had the most delicious fish braai. We went for walks along the beach, browsed  the markets, and had tea at Greenacres. I remember the friendly Capetonian smiles, and everywhere you went you saw that magnificent mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lanka (4-13 March 2024)

We decided to go to SL again as our previous trip back in 2020 was not completed because of Covid. We got quotes for flights and accommodati...